[The Learning Collaborative > East Africa]
A Learning Collaborative to Advance Social Norms Practice
The Eastern Africa Learning Collaborative on Social and Gender Norms Practice (EALC) aims to build a network of practitioners, researchers, and evaluators in the Eastern Africa Region that supports social and gender norms programming, strengthens expertise at the implementation level, informs policy, and advances positive development outcomes. Representatives from local governments, NGOs, researchers, evaluators, donors, and development partners form a social and gender norm community of practice (CoP) to strengthen or forge networks; build sustained expertise and capacity in Eastern African organisations and institutions; and support effective programming.
The EALC is guided by the following objectives:
- Promote networking and the exchange of experiences among practitioners, researchers, and evaluators in the Eastern Africa Region.
- Promote the integration and adoption of evidence-based social and gender norms approaches in policy and programming in the Eastern Africa Region.
- Share the latest social and gender norms evidence, approaches, and resources.
- Strengthen social and gender norms program implementation, research, and evaluation.
- Generate and share knowledge and innovations nationally, regionally, and globally.
- Build capacity of Higher Education Institutions in gender and social norms theory and methodology.
- Mobilize resources and promote collaborations within the CoP to strengthen social and gender norms practice.
The EALC is co-hosted by the School of Women and Gender Studies at Makerere University and CARE International in Uganda, and collaborates closely with members of the Global Learning Collaborative to Advance Normative Change, who will provide mentorship and technical assistance, as well as the Nigeria, Francophone, and South Asia Learning Collaborative CoPs.
Hosted by: The School of Women and Gender Studies at Makerere University and CARE International in Uganda
Founded in: 2020
Funded by: William and Flora Hewlett Foundation
Geographic area: Burundi, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Ethiopia, Kenya, Rwanda, Uganda, and Tanzania
Sector focus: Social and gender norms
The Eastern Africa Learning Collaborative provides many opportunities to get involved, depending on your interest and availability, and we invite you and your colleagues to join. Sign up now to join the Eastern Africa Learning Collaborative mailing list.
Eastern Africa Learning Collaborative events
Content is loading...
Map of social norms-focused projects and measurement approaches
We encourage you to search the map for projects in Eastern Africa or explore the map for projects and resources in other regions and search by key terms.
Eastern Africa Learning Collaborative resources
1 April 2021
1 December 2021
1 September 2020