Social movements map: feminists mobilising for gender norm change
This interactive global map features leading women's organisations and feminist collectives taking action to promote gender norm change. ALIGN has identified just some of the inspiring groups challenging patriarchal norms in their global and regional contexts.*
*About this map: background
ALIGN's work contributes to a growing evidence base that elevates the impact of women’s social movements as drivers of global change. This map complements our research agenda on the favourable conditions for gender norm change, increasingly pointing to the importance of feminist activism and social movements funding. The above map seeks to provide just a sense of the thematic diversity, transformative scope, and multiple scales at which feminists and gender-expansive peoples’ movements are mobilising for change.
Some things to bear in mind about the map:
- Unfortunately, this map could by no means claim to be fully exhaustive or comprehensive, and does not attempt to represent all feminist groups doing important work around the world. Instead, it is intended as a snapshot of those movements acting specifically to change gender norms.
- This map intends to help foster global connections and strengthen transnational coalitions. It is more urgent than ever to align the ambitions and actions of those who are working towards gender justice. Our ALIGN map therefore aims to provide a platform to build connections across feminist movements, scholarship, philanthropy and policy.
- Megaphones (pins) are solely country-specific, and do not give precise locations.
- Organisations are listed by their primary focus only in the 'All' tab but many appear in multiple theme tabs illustrating the multiple dimensions of their work.
- Contact details are intentionally left off entries for safeguarding reasons. Where possible URLs to any public webpage or social media account are provided.
- While all five continents are represented, due to the availability of information and specific regional expertise of contributors, some regions may be more populated than others. As a live map, ALIGN hopes that the information base will grow as it is updated and more users share recommended entries. If you would like to contact ALIGN to suggest an entry for the map, please do reach out on [email protected].
This ALIGN Map is the product of several months of research, and we appreciate the support provided by a range of collaborators including Rachel George, Mutsa Bera, Lindsey Nkem, Ahmad Amaireh, Rachel Marcus, Caroline Harper, Carmen Leon-Himmelstine, and Diana Jimenez Thomas Rodriguez. The ALIGN Platform are also grateful for the work of Angie Hawke, Emily Subden and Emilie Tant.
5 January 2023
12 December 2022
11 August 2022