- Side event
- 16 March 2018 GMT
Shifting norms for gender justice: evidence on what works.
- CSW62, UN Headquarters, New York, USA
Following the Commission on the Status of Women (CSW62), ODI and ALIGN co-hosted a dynamic event at the UN CSW NGO Forum.
The event was chaired by Patti Petesch, Consultant & Expert Advisor for GENNOVATE, and consisted of ‘project spotlights’ offered by the following speakers:
- Lori Michau, Raising Voices
- Hadeezah Haruna-Usie, Girl Effect
- Workneh Yadete, Gender and Adolescence: Global Evidence (GAGE)
- Christina Kwangwari, ActionAid International
- Aukje te Kaat, Aflatoun
- Zoe Carletide, World Association of Girl Guides and Girl Scouts.
They profiled examples of what works to change harmful gender norms – and what doesn’t – from the perspective of their projects, drawing lessons on how to improve policy and practice to support positive norm change.
Common themes included a clear focus across projects on the importance of supporting education as a route to challenge harmful norms and of improving policy and access to harness the power of technology to connect young women and promote positive understandings of gender.