- 13 October 2020, 14:00 - 15:30 BST
Innovations in quantitative measurement of gender norms
Welcome: Rachel Marcus (ALIGN/ODI)
Contributing chair: Anita Raj (EMERGE). The EMERGE initiative collates tools for quantitative measurement of women’s empowerment. EMERGE’s recent review revealed that few tools incorporate measures of norms, and even where they claim to do so, most in fact measure attitudes. Anita will set the scene and will suggest ways that norm-focused questions could be more effectively incorporated into large-scale surveys.
- Rebecca Lyndgoh Reye – (Investing in Women - IW). IW recently commissioned YouGov surveys exploring changing norms around paid work and care work - Gender Equality Matters 2020: Social norms, attitudes and practices of urban millennials in Indonesia, Philippines and Vietnam. Rebecca will share insights on using market research surveys to explore issues around norms, and the survey findings.
- Suruchi Sood – (Drexel University, Philadelphia). Suruchi has led a team that has developed a mixed methods framework and set of tools (the ACT framework) for measuring changes in norms around female genital mutiliation/cutting (FGM/C). This work has been co-developed with UNICEF and UNFPA. Suruchi will discuss the use of complementary quantitative and qualitative tools to measure change in norms.
- Alessia Radice – (UNICEF). Alessia and her team at UNICEF worked with Suruchi on the ACT framework and will be sharing insights from a programme perspective. Alessia is Communications for Development Specialist at UNICEF HQ, focusing on social norms within the UNICEF and UNFPA Joint Global Programmes for the elimination of child marriage and of FGM.
- Carolina Rivera – (UNDP). In early 2020 UNDP published Tackling Social Norms. A game-changer for gender inequalities, which uses the World Values Survey (WVS) to analyse changes in gender norms. Carolina will discuss the strengths and limitations of a global attitude survey such as WVS to understand changes in gender norms, and some of the key insights from UNDP’s analysis. Follow Carolina on Twitter @CaroRivV.
- UNICEF’s Social Norms, Social Change (free course) - coursera.org/learn/norms
- UNICEF’s ACT Framework - available online from end November. Write to [email protected] if you want to be notified
- Investing in Women reports - bit.ly/IW-equality-matters
- ALIGN’s Data, Tools and Measurement pages - alignplatform.org/data-tools-and-measurement (being updated in November)
- ALIGN’s forthcoming anchor report – using quantitative and qualitative data to look at trends over the past 25 years (out end November, sign up to receive it - alignplatform.org/stay-informed)
- EMERGE’s database of gender equality-focused survey tools - emerge.ucsd.edu
- GSNI publication, tables and FAQs - http://hdr.undp.org/en/gsni