- 10 June 2019, 14:00 - 15:30
Tackling gender norms through media
- Caroline Harper @ALIGN_platform – Principal Research Fellow and Head of Gender Equality and Social Inclusion Programme, ODI
- Poonam Muttreja @PFI3 – Executive Director, Population Foundation of India
- Caroline Sugg @carolinesugg – Director for Strategy & Partnerships, BBC Media Action
- Olga de Biaggio @girleffect – Director of Gender Programming, Girl Effect and Springster
The power of the media to influence gender norms both towards greater equality and reinforcing discriminatory attitudes and behaviour has long been recognised. Through the representation of men and women on television shows, news, social media and advertising, gender norms are demonstrated, negotiated and challenged. Public policymakers and donors support the potential of mass media to educate, and change attitudes and behaviours, investing particularly in edutainment (soap operas) and interactive media such as phone-ins and chat shows.